Skip to main content

6 Habits to Help You Reach Your Reading Goal For 2017

It’s already August everyone so that means we only have 4 months left in 2017! How’s your reading goal coming along for this year? How many books did you plan to read at the beginning of the year and how many have you read so far?
If you’re like me then you’ve made awesome progress. My goal set in January was to read 18 books. So far I’ve finished 17 books, two of which I’m still in the process of writing reviews for so be sure to keep coming back to BookMattic and check those out when I post them.

I’m ahead of the game and I hope that you are too. I’m guessing that by the end of the year I’ll probably have read at least another 3 or 4 more books which would put me a few over my goal. Fantastic! You can do it too but know that it takes a lot of work to read that much so be sure that what you're reading is worth it.

In this post, I’ll give you 6 of the habits that I started using about a year ago to help increase my reading speed and immersing myself in the books that I read.

1. Set an exact time for reading every day.

For those of you that don't have a lot of time in your day, which is probably most of you, whether it's school or work, probably find it hard to even fit 30 minutes in for reading. I find it hard too, but I still do it faithfully. Sometimes I even take my break time to read for 15 minutes. So think about your busy schedule and commit time, no matter how much, to fulfill your quota.

Schedules

Some people find schedules to be helpful, for others not so much but for me, it's not so much about the schedule as it is for the amount of time.

Every day my schedule is a bit different but I always manage to read at least 30 minutes even if it's split up into 10 minutes here and 20 minutes there. 30 minutes isn't a whole lot, so if I find that I have some spare time I take it to read. If scheduling a reading slot into your schedule every day at the same time helps you to reach your goal then make an effort to do it.

This post is here to encourage you to work reading into your life since the outcome of reading every day is terribly beneficial to your well being and general happiness. You'll be amazed at how much progress you'll make towards your goal for 2017 and beyond if you focus on setting your reading schedule and never miss it.

2. Read what you've always enjoyed but explore new genres and authors you might grow to love later.

This habit seems obvious but there's more to it than you think. I usually find a genre or an author that I love then go out and buy a few of their books.

I will eat those books up in nothing flat then move onto the next. But in order not to get bored with the same stuff over and over I will space my reading with a book from a different author or genre I've never read so that I can always be engaged in the reading experience and learn about the thousands of authors out there.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to read works from authors that you enjoy the most but if you continually do this you might get bored after a while. I suggest that once in awhile you explore new authors and genres by picking out a book written by an author you've never read before.

This will keep your mind fresh and broaden your taste in reading materials. Of course, you can always go back to your favorite author later.

Here's an example of this from my own experience:

Before 2015 I had never read a nonfiction, business book or anything other than science fiction. It was starting to get boring reading the same type of story over and over.

So when my friend that I was living with at the time in Surabaya Indonesia moved back to the US, I got tons of books that he couldn't take back. Most of the books he gave me were fiction or nonfiction. I thought I didn't really care for the genres he gave me at the time but I decided to pick one up anyway after a few months of them sitting in my closet. It was called ‘The Places In Between’ by Rory Stewart and it changed my whole perspective on what kind of books I love reading.

The point is here that all of you reading this right now need to consider starting a new habit of reading books outside your comfort zone so you can enjoy the wide variety of writing styles and gain more knowledge at the same time.

3. Read more than one book at a time.

Usually, people only read 1 or 2 books at a time. Now for me, I personally usually read 4 books at a time. That might seem crazy to you but it works for me. Here's how.

Main book 1 (fiction, science fiction or fantasy)

This is the book that I'll read the majority of the time. I'll make sure to pick it up at least once a day, therefore, it's the book that I usually finish before any of the others.

Main book 2 (business)

I read this book just as much as main book 1 since it's a different genre it doesn't confuse me or detract from the material of either book. I always make sure I'm reading something that will help me with gaining knowledge. It usually takes a longer time to finish this compared to main book 1 because I actually study, highlight and dog-ear the pages.

Secondary book 1 (older than 10 years from current date fiction, science fiction or fantasy)

I don't read this one as much as main book 1 or 2 but I do make sure to pick it up at least 2 or 3 times a week to make progress on it.

Secondary book 2 (non-fiction)

I mainly read this book to gain knowledge about a topic that I'm not too familiar with or a topic I want to improve on. In this category, I'll also include biographies or diaries of real people. I'll read this book about  2 times a week.

Many of you may disagree with this way of reading but keep in mind that everyone's brain works differently. If you're having trouble reaching your reading goals for the year then you might as well try this habit. Who knows, you might like it.

If the habit doesn't work for you then just scratch it and focus on what really works for you to increase your speed of reading and intake of knowledge.

4. If you've got spare time use it to read.

It’s rare that we ever have a large block of time that we can read nonstop without being interrupted by someone or something. Wouldn’t it be awesome if we could just have a whole day just for reading? Well, that would be paradise if you ask me, but I never get a whole day for reading.

But what I do do is any chance I get to read I’ll take it. For example, if my wife all the sudden wants to go shopping or needs to go to the salon there’s a chance for me to read while waiting for her to get done. For some others, you might have an extra 10 minutes at work. Pick your book up and read! Take your book everywhere. Use every chance possible to get ahead. You might even have a holiday coming up where you’ll have plenty of chance to read.

I covered this a little bit in habit 1, but I thought it would be a beneficial habit on its own for you to reach your reading goals for 2017.

5. Keep track of your progress with Goodreads.

Goodreads is an amazing tool for any type of reader. You can keep track of all the books that you’re currently reading or want to read, get book suggestions and so on, but for this habit 5 I want to talk specifically about keeping track of the progress in the book that you’re reading (If you use Kindle or any other type of e-reader then this habit isn’t as important since the device keeps track of your book progress for you.)

Some may ask, why I should keep track of my progress online when I have a bookmark? For me, it’s about the visualization. When I track the page that I’m on it shows me the percentage of how far I am through the book and thereafter motivates me to read the rest of the book faster. Give it a try at least for a Goodreads account and if you never end up updating your progress you at least have tons more things you can use the social book platform for.

6. Know what's next on your list.

Let this habit be the last one since it’s so important for an avid reader. I never really thought about this one before but recently I found that having an idea for the next book in your queue and even a few books in line for after that will help you a lot to stay on track for your reading goal.

Planning ahead is smart in any case so apply it to your reading habit as well.
You've only got 4 months left to reach your reading goal. I hope some of these habits can help you reach your goal and beyond.

Leave a comment to let me know how your goals are coming along.

Comments

Popular Posts in the Last Month

Marketing Points From The Tipping Point

The Tipping Point is not what I was expecting it to be especially since it was referred to in Contagious by Jonah Berger(reviewed here). While reading ‘Contagious’ Berger mentions ‘The Tipping Point’ as one of his inspirations to write his book which is much more oriented towards having an effective marketing strategy. I have seen Gladwell’s books several times in the business book section at my local bookstore here in Surabaya but what I didn't realize about the book before I bought it was that it isn't specifically about business.
Yes, some concepts in ‘The Tipping Point’ can be applied to your marketing business plan but Gladwell didn't write it for entrepreneurs. He wrote this for the average person. It's harsh but true. I’d say it's more about the result of a study into why certain things spread and others don't. There's very little mention about how to apply the research to your own life.

The majority of the content goes into epidemic viruses, smoking, a…

Is It Really That Simple? Leapfrogging Success - 5 Simple Steps To Powerful Presentations and Public Speaking For Nerds, Techies, and Introverts

I'm back! It was a very long holiday, even more than I usually have but it was a much-needed one away from the usual stresses of life.

My first post back from holiday is actually a free ebook, thanks to the author NJ Lechnir, the founder of leapfroggingsuccess.com, that I received after commenting on one of NJ's blog posts, then having a nice conversation through email we ended up deciding that it would be beneficial for both of us for me to read his book in exchange for an honest review.

With no further delay here's what I think of Leapfrogging Success - 5 Simple Steps To Powerful Presentations and Public Speaking For Nerds, Techies, and Introverts.

Author: NJ Lechnir
Published: May 27th, 2017
BookMattic's Rating: 

At first, when I saw the title to Leapfrogging Success I was thinking along the lines of TED Talks since I previously read The Official TED Guide to Public Speaking (click the link for my review) and NJ told me in one of his messages that he loves TED Talks! But …

Could 'The Kingkiller Chronicles' be the Next 'Game of Thrones'?

Hey, friends, family, and book lovers. I thought that today it would be great to change things up a little since my last few posts have been book reviews and lists or tips. Well, today I would like to bring back the wishlist which I had done regularly for a while. The book I want to talk about with you is the 3rd and the last book in ‘The Kingkiller Chronicles’ series called ‘The Doors of Stone (working title)’ by Patrick Rothfuss that’s coming out in 2018. The exact date isn’t set yet, but for sure it’ll be out next year. I’m hyped up to read this fantasy. You should be too!  

The reason why I'm looking forward to reading the rest of ‘The Kingkiller Chronicles’ is that this series is considered to be one of the best fantasy epics since ‘The Lord of the Rings’. That's a highly rated book to live up to but since I started reading ‘The Name of the Wind’ in July, I can personally vouch that ‘The Kingkiller Chronicles’ series will no doubt make a name for itself in fantasy literatur…

Why You Should Read Star Wars: Bloodline

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away… “C-3PO thought they were overdoing protocol? That was a very bad sign.”
Claudia Gray, Bloodline I have to admit that after reading Star Wars: Lost Stars by Claudia Gray which was one of the best science fiction books that I have ever read, I was thinking that I was in for another epic ride and more secrets into the world of Star Wars with Star Wars: Bloodline, but there was nothing new that I learned from Claudia Gray’s writing of one of the most well-known characters in science fiction history. Leia Organa.


The Characters Gray, your strength in writing comes from characters that you conjured up yourself. You created:

The young and honorable Senator Ransolm Casterfo from the Centrist side of the New Republic.

Leia’s assistants, tough girl and ace pilot,Greer Sonnel and 16-year-old Korr Sella.

Joph Seastriker (awesome name by the way), an ambitious yet extremely young X-wing pilot who wants to get in on the action and has a thing for women that …

The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro

Super Saturday Book Review - The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro

Before going into the review I want to tell you how I came across this book. Well, as some of you know I live in Surabaya, Indonesia and you would think that you wouldn't be able to get a hold of many books in English, but that isn't true. Surprisingly, Indonesians love reading books in English. 

So I spotted this book about a year ago in the book store and just loved the cover at first sight, picked it up and found out that it takes place in about 6th century Britain sometime after King Arthur's death. I absolutely love this time period. So I eventually picked it up after passing by it too many times in the bookstore buying other books on my wishlist. 

I may have read and reviewed this much later than most people but I have to say it was definitely worth the time put into this book. With no further wait, here's BookMattic's review of The Buried Giant.

BookMattic's Rating: 
Goodreads' Rating: 
Set in…

The Million Dollar Blog - Blogging Essentials For a Successful Blog

I had no idea blogging could be a successful career, did you? At first my blog, maybe like many of you bloggers out there just started out as a hobby, kind of a spur of the moment thing that you enjoy doing. But now, for me is way more than just a hobby. 
Blogging has turned into my ambition to build a successful business. I still have a long way to go, and I'm going to do my best and never give up on providing quality content for my readers. For some it's hard to get people to engage with your blog, for others it's a sinch, but for EVERYONE it's a matter of process and nothing in the blogosphere happens all at once. 

I would like you to come along with me on this journey of discovery and hope you have just as much fun as me along the way of finding out how to engage audiences in a meaningful conversation about a specific niche, which for me is about books. But I'll cover more on this gushy stuff later because now we have to get into the review.


'The Million Dollar…

The Top 3 Quotes From Business Books On My Bookshelf

I thought it would be nice this post around to dig back on my bookshelf for three business or self-help books and find three quotes for you to hopefully inspire you to read these three great books that have really changed my perspective on money, wealth, dreams, connection with other people and most of all happiness.


Take the time to read these quotes, think about them for a little while then read what my take is on them. I really do think that these three books can change your life. Trust me, there is much more useful knowledge in these books that all of you can benefit from.

Quotes

1. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho


Has anyone here ever accomplished their dream? What did you do after you fulfilled your dream? Celebrated? Kicked back and relaxed? You didn't just stop there did you? 

The way I interpret this quote is that even after accomplishing one dream you shouldn't just stop there. Not that you shouldn't enjoy what you have gone through to get to where you wanted to be, but …

Lessons Learned From 'Brave New World' - Is 'Brave New World' Happening Now?

Hey friends, I'm still on holiday but thought I would get a post in for you guys to read before I get too busy soaking in the sun. I bring to you today:  Brave New WorldBy: Aldous Huxley Published: 1932 BookMattic's Rating: I'm probably the 5th billionth person who has read 'Brave New World',  Aldous Huxley, not to be confused with the story about how settlers coming to North America. Many other people have reviewed, rated and analyzed this book but I'm not afraid of giving my own opinion of it since everyone is entitled to their own unique opinion. I'll, of course, be adding my own flavor to try and make it interesting for those of you that have read this classic dystopian science fiction novel. 'Brave New World' is a worthy topic to talk about.
First, before getting into the review, I wanted to mention the interesting way I came across my tattattered up 1969 copy of this book because I thought you might enjoy the background. As many of you know, I teac…

The 5 Love Languages – The Secret to Love That Lasts by Gary Chapman, Special Guest Post by The Author of 'Habis Nikah, Ngapain?'

The 5 Love Languages – The Secret to Love That Lasts by Gary Chapman BookMattic here, today I've got a special Guest Post by my good friend and author of 'Habis Nikah, Ngapain?', Daniel Arseneault. He was kind enough to write a book review that he would like to share with you on my blog. Also if you'd be kind enough to visit his website, blog and Facebook page linked at the bottom of the page that would be great! Enjoy the review! But first, let Daniel introduce himself.
Daniel Arseneault Daniel has been an International English teacher for nearly 20 years during which time he has also dabbled in a wide range of activities including MCing, singing, songwriting, managing a blues band, live music performances, managing a café, traveling extensively (often by motorbike) and being a devoted father.  His passion is living life to its fullest and he hopes to impart this love of life to his teenage daughter, and anyone else who cares to listen. Daniel presently lives in Indonesi…