Skip to main content

Lessons Learned From 'Brave New World' - Is 'Brave New World' Happening Now?

Hey friends, I'm still on holiday but thought I would get a post in for you guys to read before I get too busy soaking in the sun. I bring to you today: 

Brave New World

This picture was taken on top of Borobudur in Yogyakarta, Indonesia
By: Aldous Huxley
Published: 1932
BookMattic's Rating:  
I'm probably the 5th billionth person who has read 'Brave New World',  Aldous Huxley, not to be confused with the story about how settlers coming to North America. Many other people have reviewed, rated and analyzed this book but I'm not afraid of giving my own opinion of it since everyone is entitled to their own unique opinion. I'll, of course, be adding my own flavor to try and make it interesting for those of you that have read this classic dystopian science fiction novel. 'Brave New World' is a worthy topic to talk about.

First, before getting into the review, I wanted to mention the interesting way I came across my tattattered up 1969 copy of this book because I thought you might enjoy the background. As many of you know, I teach English in Indonesia and I've got several coworkers from different Western countries from around the world. Well, my American coworker had been here for about 8 years and had decided that it was time for him to go back to the US.

But before he left, he gave me a decent sized stack of used books of various conditions and ages. One of those books was 'Brave New World' but at that time I cast it aside because of the condition as you can see in the picture above. I'm not saying it was my friend's fault about the poor condition of this copy, but...well it probably really was his fault because he is not the cleanest of people. But then again the copy that he gave me is 48 years old and as I can see from the inside cover it has probably traveled around the world. No wonder the book is falling apart!


What's so big about Brave?

The book was published in 1932 and set in London far in the future in 2540 or as the book calls it, A.F. 632. A.F. stands for After Ford who the people practically consider a God. And yes we are talking about the Ford who created the car. Strange right? The first half of the story follows an oddly short man for an Alfa Plus named Bernard Marx who is in charge of overseeing the total conditioning of children through sleep hypnotism. 

Society is run on a hangoverless drug called soma which is given out to each citizen every day after a not too strenuous day of work. People LOVE and depend on soma since it makes them stress-less and turns them into a mindless, almost emotionless, other than happy, citizen. It's a drug addiction that no one knows is bad for their creativity and individuality. 

No one has mothers or fathers (everyone is a tube baby) and everyone belongs to everyone. The lower caste tube babies are purposely made retarded by lowering the oxygen and putting alcohol in their system. Basically, people could choose to have sex with anyone whenever and wherever they like. It's encouraged to have as many partners as you can get while on the other side looked heavily down upon getting attached to any ONE person.

Since before birth every person in the civilized world has a chosen purpose and role in society which the government does not want to be messed with and that's where Bernard Marx comes in. He doesn't quite fit in with anyone and has feelings no one else experiences. He even doesn't like taking soma that much. Although part of his habits are still ingrained into him by the government, his emotional side is trying to break free.

The story shifts a bit when Lenina Crowne, a sexy vaccination worker at the Central London Hatchery and Conditioning Centre sets her sights on Bernard. They decide to take a holiday to the Savage Reservation in New Mexico where they find someone that could change their brave new world forever. His name is John.

Analysis of John

At this point John, who was born on the reservation, son to Linda who got left behind a couple of decades ago by the current Director of Hatcheries, takes over as the main character. He's a very curious and confused individual since the only two things he knows about the world are from what his mother tells him about London and from what he sees in the reservation which are complete opposites. He's also got a copy of The Complete Works of Shakespeare which the book refers a lot to including excerpts.
Her eyes, her hair, her cheek, her gait, her voice; Handlest in thy discourse O! that her hand, In whose comparison all whites are ink Writing their own reproach; to whose soft seizure The cygnet's down is harsh...On the white wonder of dear Juliet's hand, may seize And steal immortal blessing from her lips, Who, even in pure and vestal modesty, Still blush, as thinking their own kisses sin.
People on the reservation grow old and diseased. They worship gods and even Jesus. The religion is a bit mixed up. Whereas people in the civilized world worship Ford and soma. People get married and have children on the reservation where the civilized people have whoever they want, never get married or have children. No wonder John gets confused specially since when he meets Lenina he starts to have an emotional tug-o-war with himself whether to follow what the people have taught him on the reservation or his new found culture of the brave new world.

When he decides to go back to the brave new world with Bernard and Lenina along with his mother he finds that he cannot fit in with the conformity of the society. He despises that people have no individuality and hates soma and free sex.

3 Final thoughts about Brave New World

I want God, I want poetry, I want danger, I want freedom, I want sin.
If you take these things away, what do you have left? I think this is one of the major things we can take away from 'Brave New World' is that if we take these basic human traits then we are only half human. Yes generally people in this dystopian society are happy but it's because they don't know any better. The government has taken away their freedom. As a society now we have to be careful that our governments never get even close to what the world is like in 'Brave New World'.
Universal happiness keeps the wheels steadily turning, truth and beauty can't.
The government has provided perfect happiness but in turn the people have lost their individuality. There is no beauty in this book. The truth is hidden and if someone like Bernard starts thinking creatively or like an outsider, the government will send them away forever.

Happiness is by far not a bad thing, but to lose someone's humanity is the worst thing that could happen.
It isn’t only art that is incompatible with happiness, it’s also science. Science is dangerous, we have to keep it most carefully chained and muzzled.
Seeing just from these three quotes that I picked from the book you can see that the citizens in this book have a thumb pressed down on them. Come on! Science is so important, but in this world people are not allowed to experiment. They are just stuck in their mediocre world believing that their life is perfect not realizing that their freedom has been taken away by the system that their ancestors created. 

They are stuck in a vicious cycle that most likely will not be broken. Space exploration, new inventions, arts, music, literature and movies will never be permitted in this scary under toned dystopian science fiction vision of the future.
Beautiful sunrise at Borobudur
 Is any of this familiar in our society today? Our world now is definitely not as drastic as in 'Brave New World' but I do see some similarities from this book happening in America. 

Do any of you? Add your comments below and share your thoughts about 'Brave New World'.

Comments

Popular Posts in the Last Month

Trek Into A Singular Destiny

I don't know about you but I really do love Star Trek but I'm not a fanatic like some people out there that get into their full Klingon getup or paste on their Vulcan ears and go to Comicon. Not that it's wrong to do that. I've done it myself once or twice back when I was a teenager.

I didn't dress up though but I did get a chance to meet Nicelle Nichols who played Uhura in TOS. She's such a sweetheart and beautiful despite her age. I also met George Takei (Sulu, TOS) who since then has come back into stardom. Maybe not as much as back in the day, but I'd have to say he was a fun guy to meet in person.

There's a little history about Star Trek and I, although there's tons more stories to tell which I may just write a separate post for that. What do you think, would you like to hear more about my story? Let me know in the Disqus comments below. 

Now onto the main content of the post.


Stardate 94984.8
Historian's Note
This novel commences in late April 2…

BookMattic.Blogspot.com is Moving to BookMattic.com

Hey there fellow book lovers! It's Matt Hutson here and if you've arrived on this page it will exist no longer soon. BookMattic.blogspot.com will go into oblivion. 

However, on January 1st, 2018 the BookMattic.com website and blog will be launched. So this will be the last post here at least, but many more improved posts to come on the BookMattic website.
I'm upgrading the site bigtime for you. Most of the posts will be related to business, self-help, and nonfiction books with some life-hacks and a few sci-fi books tossed in there occasionally.

My overall goal with the new BookMattic is to spread the importance of gaining knowledge through reading so that you can empower yourself to make impactful changes in your world. 

A free subscription includes updates about every post along with an exclusive monthly newsletter only for members. So I hope that you'll take the time to subscribe by providing your email even before the website launch.

My prelaunch page is already up and r…

START WITH WHY: Give Yourself A Reason For Everything You Do

This book was amazing! START WITH WHY blew my mind. Why did START WITH WHY blow my mind? Well, it has pretty much changed my perspective on why I do things. Mainly why I’m starting my own business, but also why I spend time reading or watching my favorite program. From now on even the littlest things can START WITH WHY in my life! The concept is fairly simple yet has so much power. Simon Sinek did a thorough job of explaining the importance of WHY and how it can help put your business ahead of others. It's not all about being a leader in business though, it's also about building a connection between you, and your following. The clarity of WHY shines brighter and longer than any HOW or WHAT. The examples of how Apple has dominated technology are because of WHY the company is in business. What makes Apple stand out?


It's not WHAT Apple makes, or HOW they make it. The reason why they have such a loyal following is because of WHY they make their products. Apple is used as the mai…

Bye-Bye Blogger - Hello WordPress

Hey, my fellow book lovers! I'm not going to take too much of your time today. I want to express my frustration with Blogger and the fact that very soon I'll be buying my own domain and moving over to WordPress since I have outgrown the amateur blogger stage.

UPDATE: THIS BLOG HAS MOVED TO BOOKMATTIC.COM
It was fun while it lasted Blogger, you showed me the ropes of what it's like to be a blogger and gave me a glimpse of the bright future that is coming my way. Thank you, Blogger, for all the things you've taught me along the way.
But now it's time for me to move on because people don't take your platform seriously, Blogger. As I've read from several sources, advertisers won't take a second look at Blogger blogs.
The way to go is Wordpress. So, I'm sorry Blogger, but by next week I'll be moving all my posts over to Wordpress and never come back.
For the people that have been following my posts, I'm happy to say that this will be a big step for us…

Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive

Welcome again for BookMattic's Thrilling Thursday Book Review of 'Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive' which is 3 days late due to the birth of my baby girl Hailey Aishaline Hutson who was born on Wednesday 18th of January at 3.50am Surabaya Indonesia time. She's absolutely adorable isn't she??? Welcome her to the world!
I hope you enjoy the review and pick up the book somewhere. Enjoy the picture of my daughter too!

Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive
By: Noah J. Goldstein, Steve J. Martin and Robert B. Cialdini

BookMattic's Rating: 
Goodreads' Rating:
'Yes!' Is a very persuasive book that is all about persuading people! If you want to learn more about how people are persuaded not just directly but also indirectly and some simple tips that you can apply for almost anything in any situation then 'Yes!' Is a perfect read for you.

The chapters in 'Yes!' are clearly laid out giving you 50 scientifically proven…

6 Eclectic HIGH Fantasy and HARD Sci-Fi Titles You Won't Want to Miss

Over the past week or so I’ve been finding myself craving some high fantasy and hard sci-fi. There’s been way too much YA fluff out there lately and I miss the days of reading something that truly sucks you into the story and opens your imagination.
So I thought it would be nice to look a little forward into the future and find 3 high fantasy novels and 3 hard sci-fi novels to enlighten your future reading schedule.
All of the titles I picked are due to be released in January 2018. None of them are YA novels. And all of them are the first in their series or stand-alone books. You may have noticed that trilogies have been the trend for the past decade or longer. Sometimes it’s good just to have a stand-alone book that really stands out. Not that I don’t like trilogies or series. It’s just nice to change the pace up once in awhile if you know what I mean.
When a stand-alone book is done well it’s usually the best quality of all other books like it. Now, I had a bit of a hard time while si…

Top 8 Content Bloggers You Should Read Daily

No matter where you are in this world, how old you are, or how you were raised, unless you’re a pro and have been at blogging for years upon years then you still need someone in your life to help you along.
Even pro content bloggers need to continue learning about the ever-changing landscape of the internet and technology, daily. That means if you’re just starting out then you need to learn extra hard and keep on practicing the new blogging techniques you acquire.

That is why I’ve put together a list of 8 blogs ranging from big names like Forbes and Huffington Post down to more niche-specific sites like Blogging From Paradise, to help you out with your own blogging troubles. The list of blogs is in the order of frequency that I read them in. Meaning that the #1 blog on my list is one I practically read every day because his content is so amazing and detailed.

Related Post:Blogger's Content Guide: Write With Heart

I highly recommend reading at least one of these articles from any of t…

Marketing Points From The Tipping Point

The Tipping Point is not what I was expecting it to be especially since it was referred to in Contagious by Jonah Berger(reviewed here). While reading ‘Contagious’ Berger mentions ‘The Tipping Point’ as one of his inspirations to write his book which is much more oriented towards having an effective marketing strategy. I have seen Gladwell’s books several times in the business book section at my local bookstore here in Surabaya but what I didn't realize about the book before I bought it was that it isn't specifically about business.
Yes, some concepts in ‘The Tipping Point’ can be applied to your marketing business plan but Gladwell didn't write it for entrepreneurs. He wrote this for the average person. It's harsh but true. I’d say it's more about the result of a study into why certain things spread and others don't. There's very little mention about how to apply the research to your own life.

The majority of the content goes into epidemic viruses, smoking, a…

Blogger's Content Guide: Write With Heart

Yes, right now I’m here at my keyboard typing to you. Yes, YOU, that’s right. If you’re reading this post you are most likely trying to come up with ideas on how to engage better with amazing content with your regular and new blog readers. This is something that seems difficult, but with time, effort and a few ingredients for success you can almost easily overcome this obstacle.

I’ve been at this serious blogging thing for over eight months now and sometimes I still find it hard to come up with ideas for my next post. I question myself ‘Why are you having such a hard time, Matt? It shouldn’t be that difficult!’
Truthfully, it can be difficult to find just the right topic for a post that will attract the right audience. That is one of the trickiest parts of the whole blogging thing. You’re not just writing for yourself, but also all the people interested in the topic you write about as well as all the people that have access to the world wide web.
As a blogger, you have to reach out to you…

10 Reasons Why You Should Read Books Everyday - Part 2

I hope you all enjoyed 10 Reasons Why You Should Read Books Everyday - Part 1 and now for the second part as I promised.

As you may have seen around you that the majority of people don't read books everyday. I know our schedules tend to be busy but I think it's important for you to realize how important it is to create a habit of reading books everyday even if it's only for 15 minutes.

Here are the next five reasons why (in no particular order):
6Reading is fun.
Actually this is the best reason ever to read books everyday! This is probably the top reason for those of you that do read, and no doubt it really is a good one.

Why else would we read if it weren't fun? Well, actually there are several reasons in this list. I don't think this one really needs an explanation. 
7Reading is better than watching movies. Please don't get me wrong about books or movies but I think this goes the same for most of you out there (or maybe not) but anyway, I LOVE MOVIES!

I guess both ha…