Skip to main content

Cinder - A Cyborg Cinderella

Hey fellow book readers! For this week I have a very pleasant surprise with Cinder, the first installment from The Lunar Chronicles which I was pleased with.

I personally am a big fan of sci-fi and have always been since I was a little kid sitting in my living room at 2am watching Star Trek TOS reruns not wanting to go to sleep yet since I had too much trouble with tribbles bouncing around in my head.

Then there is Star Wars (which this book series has hints of). Yes, I'm both a Star Trek and Star Wars fan. Hard to believe right? When I started reading Cinder I could feel and picture in my mind the dirty yet advanced technology of Star Wars with droids running around similar to R2-D2 except with the ability to talk like C-3PO. Marissa Meyer did a great job bringing this book to life.


Kai, Nainsi (the droid) and Cinder
Then there's the aspect dealing with fairy tales which I am a fan of but not as big of a fan as I am of sci-fi. In the previous post on March 22nd The Lunar Chronicles - 4 Loved Fairy Tales Turned Into 6 Sci-Fi Books I wrote more about this. Follow the link to read more. 

Now onto the core of the review.

BookMattic's Review of Cinder

BookMattic's Rating: 
4 Stars

Goodreads' Rating:
4.15 Stars
Cinder jumps right in introducing the main character, Cinder, and supporting and comedic characters including, Prince Kai and her hilarious side-kick android, Iko.

Cinder is a cyborg mechanic situated in New Beijing on Earth many, many years in the future. While selling her talents at a local market, fixing netscreens and the variety of future technology in this book, Prince Kai comes along in a disguise asking Cinder to fix his android named Nainsi. He heard that she is Eastern Commonwealth's most renown mechanic and said that he didn't want the palace's mechanics to fix Nainsi. He wanted the best.

This is Cinder and Prince Kai's one of many interactions with each other and a very cute one at that. 


Side note: 

New Beijing is part of the Eastern Commonwealth which in whole is part of the Earthen Union. The Earthen Union was created after WWIV to unite the world as one with the Treaty of Bremen. The whole Earth consists of six nations. The Eastern Commonwealth is one of them. 

As this is a review I won't go into further detail about the world building, but as you can see from this short description Marissa Meyer took the time to build a whole political structure which is fairly easy to understand.



The sub-problem... 
of the book comes right after this awkward meeting where Cinder witnesses one of the other vendors coming down with a sudden case of the plague that has been ravaging the occupants of Earth for the past 12 years called, Letumosis or the blue fever. It gets its nickname from the blueish-purple bruise like marks it leaves on your skin. 

After sneaking away from the med-droids that came to take the infected away, Cinder finds out that her stepsister (one good one and one bad one, unlike in Cinderella where she has two terrible stepsisters), Peony, comes down with letumosis while at the junkyard with Cinder picking up some parts for the broken down hover which Adri, the evil stepmother ordered Cinder to fix before the upcoming ball (see the connection to Cinderella?) came around the following week.

Cinder gets mixed up and ends up being taken into the government's experimental lab, ends up meeting Kai again in a few amusing interactions without him finding out that she's a cyborg and all of this is because she is trying to save her kind stepsister. 


Side Note: 

Just to let you know in this future cyborgs are not seen as human, and yes, part of their body is robotic but their brain is still in tact. Nonetheless the people of Earth don't like cyborgs that much and feel that they have no rights.

But is Cinder expendable like the rest of the cyborgs that the government has experimented on trying to find a cure for letumosis? Something is special about Cinder. Can she save her stepsister and possibly the rest of the world?


The main problem...

While all this is happening with Cinder, the feared Queen Levana from Luna decides to come down to Earth to try and make a peace accord with the Eastern Commonwealth after decades upon decades of rulers from Luna never stepping foot on Earth. 

The problem with this is that Lunars have the ability to manipulate people's minds into seeing or thinking things that are not actually there (reminds me of the Jedi mind trick). Queen Levana is well known for having a glamour so beautiful that she is irresistible.

So why all the sudden after so many years would the Queen of Luna want to come to Earth during one of its most chaotic times? Does she have ulterior motives?


About the world-building

Marissa Meyer didn't just write a book, she really did take the time to build a world that seems familiar, that we all can relate to in a little way but has many surprises and questions we can ask ourselves or friends that have read Cinder. 

Here are some questions we might ask but are not limited to just these:

  • How did the people living on Luna develop abilities? 
  • How long have people been living on Luna and why are they separated from the Earthen government? 
  • Where does Luna get its resources?
  • Why are cyborgs so hated?
  • Where did letumosis originate from?
A lot of these questions are answered. Some, however are left to the reader to think about, and that's what makes this book not just appealing to young adults, but also to a wider range of ages. If you're thinking you're too old to read The Lunar Chronicles then think again. 

If you love Star Wars and old fairy tales of the classic prince and princess story then I really do encourage you to take a shot with Cinder. If you like it then move on through the whole series.

Comments

Popular Posts in the Last Month

Trek Into A Singular Destiny

I don't know about you but I really do love Star Trek but I'm not a fanatic like some people out there that get into their full Klingon getup or paste on their Vulcan ears and go to Comicon. Not that it's wrong to do that. I've done it myself once or twice back when I was a teenager.

I didn't dress up though but I did get a chance to meet Nicelle Nichols who played Uhura in TOS. She's such a sweetheart and beautiful despite her age. I also met George Takei (Sulu, TOS) who since then has come back into stardom. Maybe not as much as back in the day, but I'd have to say he was a fun guy to meet in person.

There's a little history about Star Trek and I, although there's tons more stories to tell which I may just write a separate post for that. What do you think, would you like to hear more about my story? Let me know in the Disqus comments below. 

Now onto the main content of the post.


Stardate 94984.8
Historian's Note
This novel commences in late April 2…

BookMattic.Blogspot.com is Moving to BookMattic.com

Hey there fellow book lovers! It's Matt Hutson here and if you've arrived on this page it will exist no longer soon. BookMattic.blogspot.com will go into oblivion. 

However, on January 1st, 2018 the BookMattic.com website and blog will be launched. So this will be the last post here at least, but many more improved posts to come on the BookMattic website.
I'm upgrading the site bigtime for you. Most of the posts will be related to business, self-help, and nonfiction books with some life-hacks and a few sci-fi books tossed in there occasionally.

My overall goal with the new BookMattic is to spread the importance of gaining knowledge through reading so that you can empower yourself to make impactful changes in your world. 

A free subscription includes updates about every post along with an exclusive monthly newsletter only for members. So I hope that you'll take the time to subscribe by providing your email even before the website launch.

My prelaunch page is already up and r…

START WITH WHY: Give Yourself A Reason For Everything You Do

This book was amazing! START WITH WHY blew my mind. Why did START WITH WHY blow my mind? Well, it has pretty much changed my perspective on why I do things. Mainly why I’m starting my own business, but also why I spend time reading or watching my favorite program. From now on even the littlest things can START WITH WHY in my life! The concept is fairly simple yet has so much power. Simon Sinek did a thorough job of explaining the importance of WHY and how it can help put your business ahead of others. It's not all about being a leader in business though, it's also about building a connection between you, and your following. The clarity of WHY shines brighter and longer than any HOW or WHAT. The examples of how Apple has dominated technology are because of WHY the company is in business. What makes Apple stand out?


It's not WHAT Apple makes, or HOW they make it. The reason why they have such a loyal following is because of WHY they make their products. Apple is used as the mai…

Bye-Bye Blogger - Hello WordPress

Hey, my fellow book lovers! I'm not going to take too much of your time today. I want to express my frustration with Blogger and the fact that very soon I'll be buying my own domain and moving over to WordPress since I have outgrown the amateur blogger stage.

UPDATE: THIS BLOG HAS MOVED TO BOOKMATTIC.COM
It was fun while it lasted Blogger, you showed me the ropes of what it's like to be a blogger and gave me a glimpse of the bright future that is coming my way. Thank you, Blogger, for all the things you've taught me along the way.
But now it's time for me to move on because people don't take your platform seriously, Blogger. As I've read from several sources, advertisers won't take a second look at Blogger blogs.
The way to go is Wordpress. So, I'm sorry Blogger, but by next week I'll be moving all my posts over to Wordpress and never come back.
For the people that have been following my posts, I'm happy to say that this will be a big step for us…

Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive

Welcome again for BookMattic's Thrilling Thursday Book Review of 'Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive' which is 3 days late due to the birth of my baby girl Hailey Aishaline Hutson who was born on Wednesday 18th of January at 3.50am Surabaya Indonesia time. She's absolutely adorable isn't she??? Welcome her to the world!
I hope you enjoy the review and pick up the book somewhere. Enjoy the picture of my daughter too!

Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive
By: Noah J. Goldstein, Steve J. Martin and Robert B. Cialdini

BookMattic's Rating: 
Goodreads' Rating:
'Yes!' Is a very persuasive book that is all about persuading people! If you want to learn more about how people are persuaded not just directly but also indirectly and some simple tips that you can apply for almost anything in any situation then 'Yes!' Is a perfect read for you.

The chapters in 'Yes!' are clearly laid out giving you 50 scientifically proven…

6 Eclectic HIGH Fantasy and HARD Sci-Fi Titles You Won't Want to Miss

Over the past week or so I’ve been finding myself craving some high fantasy and hard sci-fi. There’s been way too much YA fluff out there lately and I miss the days of reading something that truly sucks you into the story and opens your imagination.
So I thought it would be nice to look a little forward into the future and find 3 high fantasy novels and 3 hard sci-fi novels to enlighten your future reading schedule.
All of the titles I picked are due to be released in January 2018. None of them are YA novels. And all of them are the first in their series or stand-alone books. You may have noticed that trilogies have been the trend for the past decade or longer. Sometimes it’s good just to have a stand-alone book that really stands out. Not that I don’t like trilogies or series. It’s just nice to change the pace up once in awhile if you know what I mean.
When a stand-alone book is done well it’s usually the best quality of all other books like it. Now, I had a bit of a hard time while si…

Top 8 Content Bloggers You Should Read Daily

No matter where you are in this world, how old you are, or how you were raised, unless you’re a pro and have been at blogging for years upon years then you still need someone in your life to help you along.
Even pro content bloggers need to continue learning about the ever-changing landscape of the internet and technology, daily. That means if you’re just starting out then you need to learn extra hard and keep on practicing the new blogging techniques you acquire.

That is why I’ve put together a list of 8 blogs ranging from big names like Forbes and Huffington Post down to more niche-specific sites like Blogging From Paradise, to help you out with your own blogging troubles. The list of blogs is in the order of frequency that I read them in. Meaning that the #1 blog on my list is one I practically read every day because his content is so amazing and detailed.

Related Post:Blogger's Content Guide: Write With Heart

I highly recommend reading at least one of these articles from any of t…

Marketing Points From The Tipping Point

The Tipping Point is not what I was expecting it to be especially since it was referred to in Contagious by Jonah Berger(reviewed here). While reading ‘Contagious’ Berger mentions ‘The Tipping Point’ as one of his inspirations to write his book which is much more oriented towards having an effective marketing strategy. I have seen Gladwell’s books several times in the business book section at my local bookstore here in Surabaya but what I didn't realize about the book before I bought it was that it isn't specifically about business.
Yes, some concepts in ‘The Tipping Point’ can be applied to your marketing business plan but Gladwell didn't write it for entrepreneurs. He wrote this for the average person. It's harsh but true. I’d say it's more about the result of a study into why certain things spread and others don't. There's very little mention about how to apply the research to your own life.

The majority of the content goes into epidemic viruses, smoking, a…

Blogger's Content Guide: Write With Heart

Yes, right now I’m here at my keyboard typing to you. Yes, YOU, that’s right. If you’re reading this post you are most likely trying to come up with ideas on how to engage better with amazing content with your regular and new blog readers. This is something that seems difficult, but with time, effort and a few ingredients for success you can almost easily overcome this obstacle.

I’ve been at this serious blogging thing for over eight months now and sometimes I still find it hard to come up with ideas for my next post. I question myself ‘Why are you having such a hard time, Matt? It shouldn’t be that difficult!’
Truthfully, it can be difficult to find just the right topic for a post that will attract the right audience. That is one of the trickiest parts of the whole blogging thing. You’re not just writing for yourself, but also all the people interested in the topic you write about as well as all the people that have access to the world wide web.
As a blogger, you have to reach out to you…

10 Reasons Why You Should Read Books Everyday - Part 2

I hope you all enjoyed 10 Reasons Why You Should Read Books Everyday - Part 1 and now for the second part as I promised.

As you may have seen around you that the majority of people don't read books everyday. I know our schedules tend to be busy but I think it's important for you to realize how important it is to create a habit of reading books everyday even if it's only for 15 minutes.

Here are the next five reasons why (in no particular order):
6Reading is fun.
Actually this is the best reason ever to read books everyday! This is probably the top reason for those of you that do read, and no doubt it really is a good one.

Why else would we read if it weren't fun? Well, actually there are several reasons in this list. I don't think this one really needs an explanation. 
7Reading is better than watching movies. Please don't get me wrong about books or movies but I think this goes the same for most of you out there (or maybe not) but anyway, I LOVE MOVIES!

I guess both ha…