Skip to main content

Jacqueline Carey' Kushiel's Scion

Jacqueline Carey' Kushiel's Scion

BookMattic's Rating: 4/5
Goodreads' Rating: 4.18

BookMattic's Review:

Reading this book was like visiting a friend or family member that you haven't seen in a while. There were a lot of the same characters from the previous books but a little older and wiser. It was really good to
have the old characters still around but they were only a small part of the book. The stardom in this book went to all the new characters. The structure of this book matched that of it's predecessors and added a few new surprising twists and turns which were pleasing and kept interest throughout this honking book of 943 pages. It is a coming of age story that you'll likely not forget. If you're new to the series I suggest reading the first series before reading this one since it has many references to the other books, however if you do read this book first the descriptions of previous events are detailed enough that you will understand the context, you'll just be missing the details.

The story begins fairly close to the ending of the last book in the first Kushiel's series where Imriel has been rescued by Phèdre and Joscelin from Darsanga and brought back to the City of Elua under the household of Montreve. The focus of the beginning of this book is themed around Imriel's preteen and early teenager years. It shows the struggle that Imriel goes through trying to overcome his mother's legacy of trickery and treachery. His mother is a traitor to the country therefore people call Imriel the traitor's get. He has a very hard time dealing with this and just doesn't want anything to do with his mother.

The story explores his relationship with his blood kin and his adopted kin. His relationship with his blood kin at first is very shaky. Along with all the troubles at court he has to deal with his lingering awful memories of Darsanga. He does his best to overcome his deep emotional scars from his captive duration in Darsanga, but it seems to plague him throughout the whole book. Eventually Imriel decides that in order for him to find himself he needs to get away from all the court gossip and go somewhere far away where he can just be himself. One way he does that is by leaving what he knows and the people he loves for the unknown adventures of university life in Tiberium.

His adventures in Tiberium end up being the most exciting and interesting parts of the book. It's where Imriel finds out about the Unseen Guild where Anafiel Delaunay learnt how to use the arts of secrecy and covert skills to his advantage. Anafiel Delaunay was the one who taught Phèdre everything she knew and in turn everything that Imriel learnt was taught by Phèdre. Imriel ends up being given the same choice as Anafiel was given and that is either join the Unseen Guild or be sworn to secrecy that if any word about the Unseen Guild were to be told to anyone else the sentence is death.

The charters are good, some better than others. You really grow to love Imriel and his desire to be a good person. At times he believes he is truly bad but he's basically lying to himself. He is very kind at heart and he learns to accept that. Other characters such as Gilot I didn't care much for. He was a main character but I felt like he didn't add much to the story and his personality was a little bland. Gilot also complained too much and didn't really contribute much to the other character's personalities. ***SPOILER*** The time that I liked Gilot the best was when and after he died. I know that's mean to say but the reason why is because the way he died made him a hero. Even though I didn't like him very much, his actions during the climax of this story made me appreciate his last actions. Everyone in the city of Lucca will most likely remember his actions and also I'm sure Imriel and his adopted kin will always be grateful for his heroic actions. I actually think Gilot chose to sacrifice himself because he believed he didn't have any worth in the world and that by doing this one last heroic action would make the meaning of his life worth something. Lastly Eamon was one of my most favorite supporting characters of all. He seemed to be able to bring the smile out on everyone's face and was truly Imriel's only best friend. He was the only other person that Imriel told about his time in Darsanga which for Imriel is a very big deal. If it weren't for Eamon the story would have lacked it's comedic moments and therefore would have been full of too much sadness.

For first time readers to this story totally make sure to read the previous stories first. For those of you coming back to the series after reading the first three books I believe you're in for a great read. Jacqueline Carey' Kushiel's Scion may not be better than the first series but it definitely has it's own unique flavor and many surprising moments to keep you wanting more.

Comments

  1. It's a good book, and good series but the tempo that made the day series so good is lacking. Good solid review though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the first comment Nicole. How are the other two books in the Imriel series?

      Delete
  2. They are good but there is a lot of agonizing soul searching that kind of turned me off a little bit but still worth reading. I love Alais.

    When you are for a break from the deep novels her Agent of Hel series is really good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts in the Last Month

10 Reasons Why You Should Read Books Everyday - Part 2

I hope you all enjoyed 10 Reasons Why You Should Read Books Everyday - Part 1 and now for the second part as I promised.

As you may have seen around you that the majority of people don't read books everyday. I know our schedules tend to be busy but I think it's important for you to realize how important it is to create a habit of reading books everyday even if it's only for 15 minutes.

Here are the next five reasons why (in no particular order):
6Reading is fun.
Actually this is the best reason ever to read books everyday! This is probably the top reason for those of you that do read, and no doubt it really is a good one.

Why else would we read if it weren't fun? Well, actually there are several reasons in this list. I don't think this one really needs an explanation. 
7Reading is better than watching movies. Please don't get me wrong about books or movies but I think this goes the same for most of you out there (or maybe not) but anyway, I LOVE MOVIES!

I guess both ha…

START WITH WHY: Give Yourself A Reason For Everything You Do

This book was amazing! START WITH WHY blew my mind. Why did START WITH WHY blow my mind? Well, it has pretty much changed my perspective on why I do things. Mainly why I’m starting my own business, but also why I spend time reading or watching my favorite program. From now on even the littlest things can START WITH WHY in my life! The concept is fairly simple yet has so much power. Simon Sinek did a thorough job of explaining the importance of WHY and how it can help put your business ahead of others. It's not all about being a leader in business though, it's also about building a connection between you, and your following. The clarity of WHY shines brighter and longer than any HOW or WHAT. The examples of how Apple has dominated technology are because of WHY the company is in business. What makes Apple stand out?


It's not WHAT Apple makes, or HOW they make it. The reason why they have such a loyal following is because of WHY they make their products. Apple is used as the mai…

6 Eclectic HIGH Fantasy and HARD Sci-Fi Titles You Won't Want to Miss

Over the past week or so I’ve been finding myself craving some high fantasy and hard sci-fi. There’s been way too much YA fluff out there lately and I miss the days of reading something that truly sucks you into the story and opens your imagination.
So I thought it would be nice to look a little forward into the future and find 3 high fantasy novels and 3 hard sci-fi novels to enlighten your future reading schedule.
All of the titles I picked are due to be released in January 2018. None of them are YA novels. And all of them are the first in their series or stand-alone books. You may have noticed that trilogies have been the trend for the past decade or longer. Sometimes it’s good just to have a stand-alone book that really stands out. Not that I don’t like trilogies or series. It’s just nice to change the pace up once in awhile if you know what I mean.
When a stand-alone book is done well it’s usually the best quality of all other books like it. Now, I had a bit of a hard time while si…

Bye-Bye Blogger - Hello WordPress

Hey, my fellow book lovers! I'm not going to take too much of your time today. I want to express my frustration with Blogger and the fact that very soon I'll be buying my own domain and moving over to WordPress since I have outgrown the amateur blogger stage.
It was fun while it lasted Blogger, you showed me the ropes of what it's like to be a blogger and gave me a glimpse of the bright future that is coming my way. Thank you, Blogger, for all the things you've taught me along the way.
But now it's time for me to move on because people don't take your platform seriously, Blogger. As I've read from several sources, advertisers won't take a second look at Blogger blogs.
The way to go is Wordpress. So, I'm sorry Blogger, but by next week I'll be moving all my posts over to Wordpress and never come back.
For the people that have been following my posts, I'm happy to say that this will be a big step for us. I'm hoping you follow me over to Wordpr…

Trek Into A Singular Destiny

I don't know about you but I really do love Star Trek but I'm not a fanatic like some people out there that get into their full Klingon getup or paste on their Vulcan ears and go to Comicon. Not that it's wrong to do that. I've done it myself once or twice back when I was a teenager.

I didn't dress up though but I did get a chance to meet Nicelle Nichols who played Uhura in TOS. She's such a sweetheart and beautiful despite her age. I also met George Takei (Sulu, TOS) who since then has come back into stardom. Maybe not as much as back in the day, but I'd have to say he was a fun guy to meet in person.

There's a little history about Star Trek and I, although there's tons more stories to tell which I may just write a separate post for that. What do you think, would you like to hear more about my story? Let me know in the Disqus comments below. 

Now onto the main content of the post.


Stardate 94984.8
Historian's Note
This novel commences in late April 2…

Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive

Welcome again for BookMattic's Thrilling Thursday Book Review of 'Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive' which is 3 days late due to the birth of my baby girl Hailey Aishaline Hutson who was born on Wednesday 18th of January at 3.50am Surabaya Indonesia time. She's absolutely adorable isn't she??? Welcome her to the world!
I hope you enjoy the review and pick up the book somewhere. Enjoy the picture of my daughter too!

Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive
By: Noah J. Goldstein, Steve J. Martin and Robert B. Cialdini

BookMattic's Rating: 
Goodreads' Rating:
'Yes!' Is a very persuasive book that is all about persuading people! If you want to learn more about how people are persuaded not just directly but also indirectly and some simple tips that you can apply for almost anything in any situation then 'Yes!' Is a perfect read for you.

The chapters in 'Yes!' are clearly laid out giving you 50 scientifically proven…

The Top 3 Quotes From Business Books On My Bookshelf

I thought it would be nice this post around to dig back on my bookshelf for three business or self-help books and find three quotes for you to hopefully inspire you to read these three great books that have really changed my perspective on money, wealth, dreams, connection with other people and most of all happiness.


Take the time to read these quotes, think about them for a little while then read what my take is on them. I really do think that these three books can change your life. Trust me, there is much more useful knowledge in these books that all of you can benefit from.

Quotes

1. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho


Has anyone here ever accomplished their dream? What did you do after you fulfilled your dream? Celebrated? Kicked back and relaxed? You didn't just stop there did you? 

The way I interpret this quote is that even after accomplishing one dream you shouldn't just stop there. Not that you shouldn't enjoy what you have gone through to get to where you wanted to be, but …

Blogger's Content Guide: Write With Heart

Yes, right now I’m here at my keyboard typing to you. Yes, YOU, that’s right. If you’re reading this post you are most likely trying to come up with ideas on how to engage better with amazing content with your regular and new blog readers. This is something that seems difficult, but with time, effort and a few ingredients for success you can almost easily overcome this obstacle.

I’ve been at this serious blogging thing for over eight months now and sometimes I still find it hard to come up with ideas for my next post. I question myself ‘Why are you having such a hard time, Matt? It shouldn’t be that difficult!’
Truthfully, it can be difficult to find just the right topic for a post that will attract the right audience. That is one of the trickiest parts of the whole blogging thing. You’re not just writing for yourself, but also all the people interested in the topic you write about as well as all the people that have access to the world wide web.
As a blogger, you have to reach out to you…

Key Opportunities With Your Blog Through Guest Posting

This post is about my personal experience with guest posting and the benefits that come with it. Just recently I wrote a guest post on onlinemarketingconsultant.co.uk about the book Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance which was actually my first time writing a guest post. So I'll be honest that I don't have much experience but I do have some insight that I think you might find valuable.
Okay let's get into the thick of it and hopefully, these points will help you to understand the benefits of these two opportunities that come with writing excellent content.

Guest PostingYou might ask yourself why you would want to write a post on someone else's blog. Why not take the credit for yourself and put it on your blog? Well, the answer to that is that you still do get credit for writing the post on the host's blog through the exposure of your name and blog address that you provide the blog host. Why is that good?
If you're like me, you're pretty new at this blogging thing and y…

The Million Dollar Blog - Blogging Essentials For a Successful Blog

I had no idea blogging could be a successful career, did you? At first my blog, maybe like many of you bloggers out there just started out as a hobby, kind of a spur of the moment thing that you enjoy doing. But now, for me is way more than just a hobby. 
Blogging has turned into my ambition to build a successful business. I still have a long way to go, and I'm going to do my best and never give up on providing quality content for my readers. For some it's hard to get people to engage with your blog, for others it's a sinch, but for EVERYONE it's a matter of process and nothing in the blogosphere happens all at once. 

I would like you to come along with me on this journey of discovery and hope you have just as much fun as me along the way of finding out how to engage audiences in a meaningful conversation about a specific niche, which for me is about books. But I'll cover more on this gushy stuff later because now we have to get into the review.


'The Million Dollar…